Pages

Monday 15 April 2013

Sergio Agüero should apologise for horror tackle, says David Luiz


Sergio Agüero and David Luiz clash at Wembley
David Luiz, right, and Sergio Agüero end up in a heap during the incident that could land the Manchester City striker in trouble. Photograph: Christopher Lee /The FA

David Luiz called for Sergio Agüero to apologise for the two-footed challenge that marred the Argentinian's match-winning performance, as Manchester City beat Chelsea 2-1 to reach next month's FA Cup final with Wigan Athletic.

Agüero could face retrospective action if Chris Foy, the referee, states in his report – due to be filed with the Football Association on Monday – that neither he nor any of his assistants saw the challenge. Foy did award Chelsea a free-kick, though this may have been for an earlier infringement. If Agüero is charged and found guilty he would probably receive a three-game ban but, with City having four matches before the final on 11 May, he would still be available to face Wigan.

The FA did not bring retrospective action last month against Wigan's Callum McManaman for his challenge on Newcastle United's Massimo Haïdara because at least one of the officials saw the general incident.

The episode involving Agüero and David Luiz occurred in the 82nd minute with City leading following the forward's 47th-minute header that, after Samir Nasri's first-half strike, had made it 2-0 before Demba Ba's 66th-minute finish pulled a goal back.

After David Luiz aimed an elbow at Agüero, the forward raced after the Chelsea player and jumped into the back of his left thigh with two feet.

David Luiz said: "Many people say to me about this tackle. I didn't see it because it was in the back of me. I cannot speak about that. I felt it a little bit. Agüero is a great player and I think he needs to be honest with himself and say: 'I don't like to do bad tackles, I don't like to do that.'

"I forgive everyone in my life. People are happy when Agüero is scoring goals, doing things in the game. Many people have said to me: 'Sorry this is not me and not good for the football.' Many kids see the game, watch the game and want to see good things and not bad things."

Asked whether, in Agüero's shoes, he would apologise, the Brazilian said: "Of course, I would apologise to everyone. I want just to show people good things – football is beautiful when you play games like that. Both teams tried to win, both created opportunities and tried good things. Sometimes in the games people have five seconds, be angry and do things you don't like to do. I think that. I never saw Agüero do bad tackles on other players. I think it was five-second angry and I forgive him."

Roberto Mancini, the City manager, claimed he had not see the incident but commented on it nonetheless. "I don't think [it was a stamp]," he said. "It was a tackle but Sergio is a good guy."
Rafael Benítez preferred to focus on the penalty claim turned down by Foy, which occurred five minutes later when Vincent Kompany pulled at Fernando Torres's shirt. "I don't like to point at players for these kind of situations," the Chelsea interim manager said. "For me, the main one was the penalty not given. The consequence could have been a red card and it could have changed the game. It was clear. I've seen the pictures and Torres has his shirt [pulled] up.With the penalty not given – it was very clear and it was disappointing."

Pressed if it was not his duty to speak out about Agüero' challenge, Benítez said: "Yeah, but I think it's not my job now. Still, the penalty not given is more important."

Mancini is intent on City's finishing the season strongly. "We've got to the final of the FA Cup and we want to win it," he said. "We have a chance to get in second place and show we don't deserve to be 15 points behind [Manchester United]."

 
 source: The Guardian UK. 

1 comment: